The Chief Housekeeper might be your better next GM! Housekeeping is an art
Housekeeping should be outsourced at no means because
- your manager and your company doesn’t have much of a clue about it – its outsourced for too long - so better hire someone who pretends to have a clue
- everybody can do it. Dusting, vacuuming, cleaning a toilet? Even if we have never done it before – easy to imagine how its done!
- Numbers are important for a GM and what does the Chief Housekeeper no other then Room numbers?
If we wouldn’t be that important ourselves we might see that:
- the Chief Housekeeper manages to motivate people everyday to do a hard job and are badly paid – things that most managers fail to manage – every day!
- manages to do routine, repeating cleaning jobs that are hard to get done but easy to criticize.
- If you ever work in housekeeping – it’s the best fun team to be in. The stick together and stand up for each other.
- They manage the inventories like chemicals, dry goods, amenities, uniforms, laundry that make a bulge of your budget and cost a fortune which you expect as a GM - but do you appreciate enough? Do you understand their numbers? Just be thankful that they do it for you!
Chief Housekeepers are great people managers, great managers of assets and thus a great choice for the next GM position. They can’t deal with guest of high calibre? They managed you – their team and your hotel – they will manage everybody! Maybe – even better!
Have trust in your housekeeping they not only deserve it – they proofed it.
Author: Stephan Busch, Academic Director at the State University for the Humanities Moscow RGGU, Faculty of Tourism & Hospitality earned his Master Certificate in Hospitality Management from Cornell University, USA. He has a diverse experience in launching operations, business development and service training- for hotel and cruise companies in Asia, Europe, Canada and Russia.